Tuesday, April 29, 2008

GTA4: The First Morning in the Liberty City



I remember when I discovered the original GTA in 1996, I used to come over to my friends house just to play the time limited demo. I just loved how open ended the game was, allowing me to do pretty much anything I wanted. There was something very special about the freedom GTA allowed, and it was nothing like any game before it.

Today, 12 years later, is the official release date of Grand Theft Auto IV. I have been saturating myself with leaked videos of the game and every bit of associated news. Naturally, I had to get it the first chance I could. I was surprised to find that I was not alone. When the doors finally opened at 12am, there were at least 100 other eager fans waiting to get their hands on this highly anticipated title.

So what do I think? This review can only be categorized as first impression as I am only few hours into the game. But already, the game holds up to all of the hype. Sure, there are a few glitches. But the sheer density of detail is amazing. As I walked out into the street during my first morning in Liberty City, I immediately felt like a part of it. Construction noises in the background, pedestrians talking on cell phones, honking of the cars all combined into all too familiar noise of the urban life.

Walking casually down the street I wondered into a diner. With no loading times, Niko pushed open the door. As I was marveling at the tiny details of the place, I was approached by a random thug who began threatening me. This was unacceptable and i fumbled for the right button to throw a punch. Watching the character throw his first hook, complete with smooth, believable animation made me smile. Unfortunately, the thug retaliated with a fury and soon his friend joined in the assault.

It was difficult seeing Niko getting beat up, so I decided to take off. Throwing open the doors of the diner I ran out, with the two thugs giving chase behind me. They clearly were out for blood and did not hesitate to run after me. Fortunately, a police cruiser happened to roll by just as my very first two enemies began finishing what they started.

Cops stooped the beautifully modeled car and got out immediately, shouting at the thugs to throw their hands up. Next thing I know is there is a fire fight. Whats amazing, I am not involved. This is the first for the series. Cops actually protect you as long as they see other people as aggressors.

After an exchange of fire, the cops prevailed. They got back into their cruiser and drove away unceremoniously, just another day on the job I guess. I decided to stick around and watch what happens next. Soon an ambulance arrived and shortly paramedics were trying to revive the fallen crooks. "Don't you die on me!" shouted the paramedic as he was working to heal one of them. The bad guy was slowly getting up from the ground, moaning "I need some vodka".

All this was non scripted, completely dynamic scenario. All this in my first morning in the Liberty City. I can only imagine what the evening has in store.

No comments: